Monday, September 16, 2002

A marine recruiter called me today. I was home alone. I had come home early from college because I had an exam for my last class and finished early. I was supposed to go to work. When I got home there was no one there, I guess they went to the mall. Anyway, I told him I'm opposed to war and he asked me if I'm opposed to military. WHAT!?!?!?! If I'm opposed to war why wouldn't I be opposed to military? What do I expect the military to do, just make a bunch of bombs that they'll never use and train and occationally accidentally bomb Canada and the Red Cross?!?!?! Anyway, he shut up pretty quick, but he asked me if there was anyone else who he should talk to. I paused a minute, pretending I was pondering, and then politely said, "No, I don't think so." The whole conversation was very cordial. I have nothing against the man. I'm sure he's probably very nice, unless he's the one yelling in the faces of the kids doing push-ups or scrubbing the floor with their toothbrushes. He said he was a General or something. Since when are Generals calling my house. Don't they have something better to do like figure out how many Iraqi children it's okay to kill and still say they've "taken every precaution." I guess military people don't want war though. Why would they? They don't want to risk their lives. I know most soldiers hope they can get their reserve time in and then go to school on the GI Bill. Anyway, that brings me to an interesting article: http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=333275

No comments: